Lecturer: Yuri Zaderman, yzaderman AT yahoo DOT com
Recitation Mentor: Mark Kim, markhkim AT eden DOT rutgers DOT edu
This is the first part of the two-semester sequence in precalculus. The class will cover, roughly, the first three chapters of Precalculus by James Stewart, et al. The mathematics department offers a syllabus for the course, though the pace of the course may differ from what the syllabus prescribes.
The recitations will meet in HCK-201, Thursdays at 2:30. You are responsible for submitting homework in each recitation. You will also receive a quiz at the end of each recitation.
Homeworks and quizzes will be graded each week and returned on the following week (this is very important; if you don’t get them back, ask!). The solutions to homework and quiz problems will be posted on this page.
Office hours will be held in HSB-101 on Thursdays, from 1:30 to 2:20. You may also contact me to schedule an appointment.
- Week 1: Introduction; Lecture on basic set theory | Information sheet | Notes on set theory | Answer key
- Week 2: Homework and quiz on sections 1.1 and 1.2 | Homework solutions | Quiz 1 | Solutions
- Week 3: Homework and quiz on sections 1.3 and 1.4 | Homework solutions | Quiz 2 | Solutions
- Week 4: Homework and quiz on sections 1.5 and 1.6 | Homework solutions | Quiz 3 | Solutions | Completing the square | Answer key
- Week 5: Quiz on sections 1.7 and 1.8 | Quiz 4 | Solutions | Consider studying last semester’s midterm; here are the solutions—and some more practice problems.
- Week 6: Graphing Calculator Workshop
- Week 7: Homework and quiz on section 1.9 | Quiz 5 | Solutions
- Week 8: Homework and quiz on sections 1.10 and 2.1 | Quiz 6 | Solutions
- Week 9: Quiz on sections 2.3, 2.4, and 2.5 | Quiz 7 | Solutions | Quiz 7B (Take-home) | Solutions | Consider studying last semester’s midterm.
- Week 10: Lecture on section 2.7
- Week 11: Homework and quiz on section 2.7 | Quiz 8 | Solutions
- Week 12: Homework and quiz on section 2.8 | Quiz 9 | Solutions
- Week 13: Homework and quiz on sections 3.1, 3.2 | Quiz 10 | Solutions
- Week 14: Last recitation, review upon request | Consider studying the departmental review exercises.
- Week 15: Final exam review at Campbell A4 | Tuesday, May 4; 2 pm to 4 pm